The Indian Council of Social Science Research has a Study Grant Scheme for scholars who are doing Ph.D in the field of Social Sciences. The scheme is intended to provide financial assistance for visiting libraries to collect research material. Research Scholar who is not receiving any financial assistance from ICSSR,UGC, any University or any other agency is entitled to the following privileges under this
- Reimbursement up to second class railway sleeper/ bus fare or combination of both from the place of residence/University where scholar is registered for Ph.D to the place of visit (where libraries are located) and back
- Rs. 400/- per diem (fixed) as boarding and lodging allowance during the visit for a maximum of 30 days in a financial year;
- An additional amount of Rs. 1000/- to meet local conveyance and other miscellaneous expenses for the entire period.
- The scheme is administered by the ICSSR and is available at the six Regional Centres of the Council.
- A Ph.D scholar must apply to the Director of ICSSR-NWRC for availing the scheme. The jurisdiction of the ICSSR North-Western Regional Centre at Chandigarh is Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, and the Union Territory of Chandigarh.
- A Ph.D scholars registered in other region have to apply to the Director of the concerned Regional Centre.